Another Day

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Shopping with a 13 year old

So yesterday Libby and I are off to the mall to buy her some much-needed long pants for the winter.  I knew this would be a more "updated" trip to the mall when she came down the stairs dressed more nicely and wearing makeup. So here are my highlights of my experience:

The TRIED & TRUE award goes to Belks & Levi's.  We first hit Belks because we knew standard jeans would not be a problem here.  She found a pair of skinny Levis  and boot cut Levi's (must haves).  Tried them on, loved them, paid, & out the door.  Great start to our shopping.

Next, the OBNOXIOUS award goes to Hollister.  First of all, this store is like a store rebuilt in the store front...it's like you're walking into some sort of cabana.  (Pretty cool, actually).  Quickly I notice the loud music and the large poster of a girl & boy kissing, half naked on the wall.  alrighty then.  I am quite a bit dismayed when Libby notices that the jeans only go up to size 7/9.  REALLY?, I'm thinking.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I didn't expect them to have plus sizes or anything.  But no 11's.   I told Libby I would ask the associate.  This proposal totally embarassed Libby and she started immediately hushing me about it.  (Like anyone could have heard a Mama's grumblings over the loud music).  Eventually, I sneak away from Libby and ask the associate and she says they get some 11's but "they sell out quickly".  Well, go figure.  I'm kinda dismayed that in a era or anorexia & bulemia my daughter has to see such a fashionable store carry only 00-7/9.  Libby finds a couple of sweaters bearing that cute little red bird on them and we proceed to checkout.  First of all, the kid checking me out doesn't even make eye contact, much less, greet me.  She's wearing Hollister jeans that clearly aren't between 00-7/9.  And she, bless her heart, can't do math even with the help of the cash register.  She enters stuff wrong, has to wait on someone to fix it-who tries but doesn't know how, has to get someone else.  Finally, after some folks behind us are pretty frustrated, we are out the door.  Overall, the experience was okay.  Just for the record, I did NOT in anyway say or do anything to embarrass my kid....

The SURPRISE OF THE DAY award goes to American Eagle.  As we walk into the very crowded (i.e. popular) store Libby sees one of the things she has said she wanted:  grey skinny jeans.  She tries them on and LOVES them.  We also get a pair of "artist" cut jeans (don't ask me?) and a belt to buy.  We squeeze through the maze of people to check out.  My surprise here was the bill!  I only share this because obviously we were one of many making purchases:  but these 3 items cost a total of $117.00.  WOW!  The grey skinny jeans placed strategically at the front of the store cost about half the bill.  I told Libby to be sure not to stain the light colored jeans or she would be wearing the latest fad: STAINED, grey skinny jeans. 

The STILL A KID award goes to Build-a-bear.  Libby wanted to just look in here as we took a break from our serious shopping.  She glowed as she found a bear she liked.  Well...the rest is history.  She spent some birthday money (thanks, Madison) on getting a new bear.  Like I say, sometimes 13-year-olds are young adults and sometimes they are just big kids.  She was a more mature shopper here...she bought the bear T-shirt that was "on sale" and she named him the very mature name, James.

The HILARIOUS moment of the day was when AT 2 DIFFERENT stores Libby got asked by customers if she worked there.  She was a little embarrassed by this but I thought it was crazy funny. 

Anyway, the trip was fun and productive:  Four pair of jeans, two sweaters, a belt, some bath & body....and, of course, James.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home