Another Day

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I can only imagine: 3 days before the FIRST Easter

Have you ever had that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach when you know something bad is happening? Recently I showed up at work to see a large manila envelope waiting for me. It had been sent certified mail to Amy Baker Bynum...I had that sick feeling that just knew this wasn't good. I also remember getting this feeling when I sped by a cop (unknowingly, of course) only to see him zoom up behind me and turn on the blue light. Once again, that dooms-day feeling inside.

Well, this past Sunday Pastor David preached from Matthew 27 on the crucifixion of Christ. While I had read this before and seen the movie, one part stuck out in my mind like I'd never read it before. I remembered that Judas regretted betraying Jesus and consequently hanged himself. I remembered that Pilate thought Jesus to be innocent and openly washed his hands of the guilt (as best he could). But I didn't remember what our earth did in response to the dying of our Lord. Matthew 27:45 says that from the sixth hour to the ninth hour darkness came over all the land. In other words, at a time that would have been light outside, the sky was dark. Then once Jesus cried out and gave up his spirit (died) the earth shook and the rocks split open. There was an earthquake when Jesus died. But the man I felt drawn to was the centurion. From what I understand, the centurion was a soldier guarding Jesus. Matthew 27:54 says that when the centurion and those with him who were guarding Jesus saw the earthquake and all that had happened, they were terrified, and exclaimed, "Surely he was the Son of God!". Can you imagine the sinking feeling they had in the pits of their stomachs when they realized the true Son of God had been tortured and hung on a cross to die. Talk about a dooms-day feeling.

Thankfully, we've read the next chapter and we know that this death was hardly the end. Prophecies fulfilled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home