Another Day

Monday, August 24, 2009

My reservations with Gov't's involvement in Healthcare

In this blog I hope to give you "food for thought" for whether or not we really want government involved in healthcare. I must preface my reservations with a few points:

1. this blog does NOT reflect on my patriotism or my love of America. I still think America is full of hope. I care about our country and citizens.

2. Do I think healthcare needs reform? Absolutely. I feel for working folks who can't afford insurance premiums and costs. I feel for working folks whose companies can't afford to offer them insurance.

3. I am far from being a politician. In fact, I haven't read much of "America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009". Primarily because it is 1018 pages long and full of lawyer-ese language. I don't listen to politicians because...well, they are politicians. Too many have alternate agendas and are out to sell their ideas. Unfortunately, TV stations can be like this too.

4. I stand to be corrected if anything I say is wrong. Notice that I am not saying that I am for or against this act. I am simply trying to state what I feel are common-sense reservations we should all think about.

Having said that, here are 4 reasons I am scared for the government to be involved (much) in healthcare:

1. The government tends to complicate things. I mean, gosh, the proposal act is 1018! pages long. Look at IRS tax forms. I'm pretty educated and can't make sense of the things. Most of us can't really even get all the details of what they want to pass. What would we really be agreeing to here? Seems like fine print after fine print to me.

2. We are creating a nation of government-dependent folks. And let's face it, judging by the deficit and corruption, it's not a well run business. I'm not sure I want to put my physical well being in their hands. It really gives them a lot of power in my life. Some people don't mind this but it unnerves me a bit. If we keep allowing government involvement...we are at their mercy.

3. Everything has a cost...nothing is free. Let me repeat: everything has a cost! Any funding, sponsorship, subsidy etc that comes from the government, comes from taxpayers (me and you). WE are the funding. On a simple level, it could appear that this plan is a way for us to pay the government taxes so they can fund our healthcare...well, excuse me, but isn't that what I'm using some of my money for right now...to buy my healthcare. They talk of "shared responsibility". But isn't that just a nice way of saying that we are now extending a new form of aid to help folks who can't afford healthcare. So, are they saying that taxpayers will now pay for Medicaid for the poor and affordable insurance for those who can't afford it now? But how will this plan help folks like me?

4. I am scared of what this will do for folks who want to keep their own private insurance. Sure they say we can keep it (but there is more to that story, to come in a future blog). Never the less, what will all of this do to private insurers. Will this change things so much that they can't even survive economically to be a choice for those who want them? So much for having that option.

Well, I hope this helps on a surface level. I do plan to look back over the act (as entirely as possible) and have a future blog with exact quotes from the plan. Some statements you don't even have to know lawyer-language to realize it don't sound good. Let me know what you think about this. Too often I realize I am "preaching to the choir" but somehow it makes me feel better. Thanks for reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home