Another Day

Monday, April 30, 2007

Held captive on the boat

The other day I had a great experience...I was held captive on the boat. Let me explain. John called about mid-day to see if we wanted to head out to Harris Lake after I picked up Libby in carpool. Since I had just mentioned going to the lake sometime to Libby the other day, I told him that it sounded like a great idea.

So before I picked Libby up, I packed up what I call my "Mommy" bag. You know the bag with all the little necessities that someone will undoubtedly need on any trip. I packed light jackets, sunglasses, tissues, snacks, etc. Once I got Libby and John got home, we hooked up the boat, grabbed Libby's reel and headed to the lake.

In just a little time we were on the lake and zooming (quite fast, I must say) to our first fishing cove. The fish had other things on their minds...John only caught five and Libby, bless her heart, didn't get a bite. She was pretty diligent in her efforts and had fun nonetheless. She did get hung in the tree and we laughed at her "bird fishing". As I sat all kicked back I happen to think these things: When I'm at home I am pretty much busy ALL the time. Most of you mamas know that there is ALWAYS something that needs doing. As I was laid back in the boat I thought about how I am always doing something and even when I'm "relaxing" I am ever conscious of the things that I SHOULD be doing. But not this day...for this day I was "captive" on the boat and could truly relax because I knew all the work would have to (and could easily) wait. When I left home for the lake I left clothes washing in the washing machine, clothes drying in the dryer, dishes in the dishwasher waiting to be put away, and I put the thawed hamburger back into the frig for one more day. All this would have to wait.

So I was captive on the boat and was happy to be so. I couldn't be doing all those things so I truly relaxed, read my magazine, and watched my two favorite people having fun. I tried to sneak up on Cranes to take their pictures but never could, they always flew away too soon. We all got to see the sunset over the trees. What a wonderful, unplanned afternoon. This reminds me of a quote I read the other day:

"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are."--Mary Jean Iron

1 Comments:

  • Thank you for reminding me of the necessity of taking a "mini vacation". It is so important, but, we so often think..." No, I don't have time"...forgetting that what we are doing is making an important family memory!!!
    Nancy

    By Blogger Unknown, At April 30, 2007 at 4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home