Another Day

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Jubilee...Jubilee...you're invited...


So, I'm about to let you in on a little secret...I really just want to be a gospel singer. I'm not talking about being a contemporary Christian artist...I'm talking about being a pure, ole, Jubilee gospel singer.

You know that old show. We always just called it "Jubilee" but my online research told me that it was actually called "The Gospel Singing Jubilee" and it ran in the late 60's and early 70's. So that would put me being about 6 or 7 when I would hear the Florida Boys or Happy Goodman Family opening with their joyous "Jubilee, Jubilee, you're invited to this happy jubilee". Now I can't really feel like this show is my influence because I never really remember liking the show at that age and I didn't even go to church much back then. However, it is a coincidence that I remember it pretty vividly. (And you know I believe "coincidences" are really divine intervention.

Nevertheless, I find myself now thinking that being a gospel singer would just be the greatest "job". I would love to stand on stage and belt out those moving hymns. Wikepedia defines a gospel quartet as "any quartet singing evangelical-style hymnody". That sums up my thoughts exactly. And this job lends itself to being over-weight because the ladies wear matching, conservative outfits usually in a dark color (to match the men's suits). And we all know that having a little extra weight on you somehow makes your voice "richer" and thus better. Besides, Christians would try not to judge you on your looks anyway.

So I'd love to spend my time worshipping the Lord through song and having fun doing it. I like to think happy Christians are inspiring and hopefully pleasing to the Lord.

But, there is just one little problem (well, big problem actually). I don't really sing that well. So for now, each Sunday at church I'm my own little gospel singer...one amongst the congregation...singing out just the same. I know that when I sing, my heart is in it just the same. I always have said that "in my next life I just want to be a gospel singer". Well, I'm guessing it will take getting to heaven to make that dream come true.

So, I leave you with this thought...When We All Get To Heaven, I'll be over on Higher Ground by The Old Rugged Cross singing Just As I Am...then you will know for sure It Is Well With My Soul.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home